Friends of Zambia Commitments in Zambia
Increasing Investment in Zambia
1. Working to establish a Youth Investment Fund that supports youth employment and enterprise through microfinance, loans, investment capital for small and medium-sized businesses, business mentoring, apprenticeships, and internships (in progress).
2. Several Friends have invested in small and micro businesses of young people
3. Friends of Zambia member, the African Development Foundation, is supporting Out Grower farming sectors in the Copperbelt and Central Provinces. In addition they have begun supporting two coffee projects in the Northern Province, and beekeeping and honey products in North-Western Province.
Encouraging New Investment & Promoting Zambia
4. Members of Friends of Zambia have published articles in newspapers and journals in the United States promoting interest and support for Zambia.
5. Brought over 80 businessmen and women, philanthropists, doctors and investors to Zambia for trips to encourage involvement of American and European businesses and individual’s in Zambia’s people and economy.
Meeting Immediate Needs Through Donations
6. Friends of Zambia member, the Nike Foundation is investing in Campaign for Female Education (CAMFED) in the amount of US $400,000 and has recently selected Zambia as one of its five target countries.
7. Supported young Zambian students to earn their graduate degrees.
8. Support local projects, hospices and hospitals in Lusaka and Mongu with financial contributions and supplies.
9. Supplies shipped to Zambia worth US $50,000: including computers, sewing machines, medical supplies, and school supplies.
10. Donation of seven Vaxi Cool Refrigerators to Government of Zambia through the Embassy of the Republic of Zambia in Washington D.C.
11. Donation to Lusaka Girl’s School to fund a science lab and supplies.